Long time, no WIR, I know. I hope to get back to posting these on a weekly basis after my hiatus over the past few weeks. Let me start off by sharing this image I regrammed (Instagram lingo for reposted) from @tealeaves a couple of weeks ago…
I’ve been in some very hot water for the past couple of months, and let me tell you, I am continually surprised at my strength. I am not going to go into all of the details about what’s been going on in my personal life and I ask that you respect my decision to keep some things private. I will say that hardships and tough times are certainly learning opportunities and I’ve been discovering a lot about myself lately. No one’s life is perfect with smooth sailing all of the time, nor would I want my life to be that way. I know from experience that my greatest growths come after weathering the storms. What I am trying to do now from the eye of the storm is be open to learning, changing, and growing.
Life does go on even when bad things happen, doesn’t it? I’ve been trying to keep up with my posting schedule as best I can. Don and I took a much needed weekend getaway trip to Arizona a couple of weekends ago (which I shared more about here if you’re interested). There’s nothing quite like the desert sunshine to help heal! I’ve actually planned another quick desert getaway coming up soon as a bit of a solo retreat for myself since our weekend was so soothing. I relish my time with my pup, enjoying longer walks nows that much of the snow and ice has melted. Don and I have also been enjoying time with friends and family, including sharing meals with our loved ones. The healing power of food is quite palpable, isn’t it? There’s something about a healthy, well-rounded meal that nourishes the soul as well as the body. That being said, there’s also a time and a place for indulgences, such as the sushi feast we threw for my brother’s birthday this past weekend. I’m also a firm believer in the “spoonful of sugar” theory both metaphorically as well as literally. Sometimes a little sugar is just the ticket! I treated myself to a fantastic festive cupcake last Friday in place of lunch, which felt like a deliciously naughty indulgence. I don’t think it hurts to allow the occasional treat like this so long as I don’t start gorging on cupcakes on a frequent basis. Emotional eating is a slippery slope and I have spent much of the last decade learning how to navigate a healthier outlook on nutrition. I am actually proud that even now as I am weathering an emotional storm, I can still manage to stick to the 80/20 rule, which is to try to eat well balanced, clean food 80% of the time and not worry about the other 20%. This is a vast improvement from my younger self who might have gorged on sweets during tough times! I’ve also been sticking to my regular yet moderate exercise routine, allowing myself a day off when it seems necessary, but not quitting altogether or going overboard. Now that I’m in my thirties I do seem to have better control and can avoid going to unhealthy extremes!
FYI – That cute Spoonful of Sugar charm is from shellybelly4evr on Etsy 🙂
I know without a doubt that “this too shall pass,” and I will weather this storm and be all the better for it. I know without a doubt that everything happens for a reason and that the new path unfurling before me is the right one. I know without a doubt that I am loved, not just by my family and friends, but on a higher and deeper level, and that nothing can break that bond.
In an effort to have a little fun, I filmed the TMI tag where I answer some personal questions, which you can watch here if you’d like:
I want to thank everyone that has left me such kinds words of encouragement and support. This online community means so much to me and I am truly grateful for each and every one of you. For all of you who may be suffering through your own storms right now, please know that you are not alone and can never be alone and that you are loved, just as you are. And don’t forget, “this too shall pass” and the sun will shine once more and you will be stronger and wiser as you walk your new path.
((HUGS)) to all!