My Week In Review (otherwise known as WIR) posts are just that: a review of my past week. I post an update here every Tuesday sharing some tidbits of my previous week as well as an accompanying photo recap with selections from my Instagram. Here’s the buzz from my week:
Hello, summer weather! It finally really feels like summer here in the midwest with gorgeous hot sunny days mixed with a bit of mugginess and a few storms here and there. We’ve had so much rain this year that everything is very green and vibrant outside. Our summer flowers are thriving as well! I just love being outside in the summer. There’s nothing like a super cold and long winter to help you appreciate the glories of summer weather. Sometimes I like taking my dog Winnie for walks by the lake where it tends to be shadier, cooler, and slightly less humid. I haven’t made it to the beach yet this year but it looks beautiful as ever! One of the great things about living in the Chicagoland area is the vast beauty of Lake Michigan. Some days it looks just like the ocean!
I talked about being a creature of habit and enjoying my usual summer breakfast of yogurt with granola and berries last week, but something strange happened since then….I actually changed up my breakfast! Crazy, I know! I’ve been lacking a bit in the protein department, so I decided to beef up my breakfasts by scrambling a couple of eggs with whatever leftover meat and veggies we have on hand. This has turned out to be a most delicious experiment! Some of my favorites of last week were the hamburger, bacon, and green beans combo as well as crab with broccoli. I had no idea crab would taste so good with eggs! My very favorite, however, was using the leftovers from our shrimp fajitas. Talk about flavor! I’m very interested in what you like to eat for breakfast if you care to share. It’s fun to know what other people like. 🙂
I have been working on cleaning up the other areas of my diet more lately as well. While I do generally stick to the 80/20 rule (be good 80% of the time and don’t worry about the other 20%), I’ve been learning more about nutrition and want to take a more active approach to it. It’s so easy to forget that what we put in our mouths is actual fuel for our bodies, not just tasty treats for our minds. While I do stick to a pretty healthy diet during the week, I am always a bit stuck on healthy snacks and tend to reach for my favorite Pretzel Crisps and Veggie Puffs without thinking much about it. I’m trying out new snacks like fruit, almond butter, guacamole, and nuts. Again, I’d appreciate any healthy snack tips you guys have if you want to share!
I picked up a few fun things last week, including new gift wrap for my filming backsplash from The Container Store. I had popped in to buy some mailing supplies when I passed by a brand new display of Treeless Gift Wrap. I must have stood in front of that display for a good five minutes with my mind brainstorming all of the fun things to do with these colorful beauties! I ended up picking eight of the rolls in a rainbow spectrum for my summer backsplash. I haven’t bought new paper for a long time since I have such a nice collection on hand already, but was running low on my summer options since I do use the wrap for gifts as well as display. I’m so happy this new collection caught my eye. The rolls look so colorful and cheery on my wall! The wrap is made from calcium bicarbonate and is touted to be tear and water resistant. How cool is that?
Lastly, I decided to get a swift and ball winder to make winding my yarn from skeins into balls (or cakes) easier. I tested these out for the first time last night and can’t believe how fast and easy it was wind my yarn! I’ve started working on a new pattern called Flow by Andrea Rangel which is a beautiful lace edge scarf/shawl. The pattern is already kicking my butt, but I know it’s just a matter of time, patience, and some good old internet research until I get it down.
Don and I had a marvelously uneventful “No Plans” weekend where we deliberately stayed home, did things around the house, and just hung out together. We’ve been so busy this year with jam-packed weekends of friends, family, and travel (all good things for sure but sometimes you need a break), that we decided we were due a hermit weekend at home. It was divine! I finally had a chance to finish work on my closet, which I will be sharing a look at later this week.
If you’d like to see more from my weekend, check out my vlog:
As I mentioned earlier, I’m very curious about what you like to eat for healthy meals and snacks and would love to hear about it. Feel free to leave a comment if you’d like! Take good care <3
* Post contains affiliate links. This is not a sponsored post. All opinions are genuinely my own. *